Monday, September 15, 2008

Little procedure today...

Well, the ball is moving forward. I had a port put in today so that next week when I start chemo they can administer the drugs through the port. When they told me what they were going to do it "creebled" me out. (I think creebled is kind of a dutch term, but you get the picture). So they put this port just below the skin in the chest area and then make another incision (very tiny) just at the bottom of the neck to insert a tube into the vein there. Ok, see my hands are sweating again just talking about it. This was done this morning and I think my neck muscles are kind of tight and bothered, sort of hurting. The incision started to hurt a few hours ago so I took some Tylenol to relax my neck and ease the pain. Had a good long nap and now I'm hungry for supper.

We have some leftovers from 2 delicious meals that were delivered to our home on Saturday and Sunday. These meals were made and delivered by volunteers of the Heritage Hot Meals program from our church. Thank you to both these ladies! The meals were wonderful and such a nice treat.

Some people are asking how my spirits are, how am I really doing. I want to assure everyone that I'm doing well. I had one day last week when I took the phone call from my surgeon. It was actually her on the phone and she finally had the pathology report from surgery. She told me that 14 of the 16 lymph nodes she had removed were affected and this was not good. I can't remember exactly how she put it but it was serious. She told me more things (I can't remember what) and when I got off the phone it was like something had changed for me. Before the phone call I was "coasting on God's peace". I was really at peace with everything. I knew that I had some blood clots that were being taken care of and knew that down the road I would have chemo. Then the phone call. Well that day was a weepy day for me which included my mom going back home. She had been with us for a week and a half or so but had to get home to take care of herself and her doctor appointments. The next day I was fine again and have been since. So many people we know (and many more we don't) have been affected by cancer. I just consider myself blessed to have the family and friends that we have supporting us with their love, prayers, cards, emails, visits. I don't believe in coincidences. Today, after the procedure in recovery there were two women talking to each other. They both just had their ports removed. They were done with chemo. I listened for awhile and then jumped in and started asking some questions. As soon as they learned this was the beginning of my journey they both said that I would be in their prayers. We exchanged emails and the one lady gave me a big hug before I left and said to make sure I emailed her.

I can't thank you enough for your prayers and encouragement.
God bless,
Judi

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I was pretty "creebled" out too when I saw and heard the procedure.