Today was the day I started my chemo. Wow. The journey continues. I got a pretty good night's sleep and felt peaceful and calm this morning. My mother-in-law called to see how I was doing and we chatted a bit. Then I look at the time and got pretty anxious with big butterflies in my stomach because we had to leave for the clinic and I didn't want to be late! I took my anti-nausea drugs and we left. My mom arrived yesterday so she and Rick both came along to the clinic. Thanks Mom! More waiting at the clinic then I went back and after awhile they attached the needle to my port. It was good and frozen so I didn't feel a thing. They do a saline solution at first until the chemo drugs are ready, so I think they started the actual drugs around 11am. I got a bit of pressure in my head and light headed but not until 1pm did I get any other symptoms. Around 1:00, I was trying to say something to my mom or the nurse and noticed that my tongue was being lazy. It didn't feel thick just lazy. The nurse asked if they had already given me Benadryl and I said no. They were rather puzzled. The chemo drugs were pretty much done so they switched me back to just the saline and went to talk to the doctor. He ordered Benadryl and said he's come by to check on me. The slurring words lasted awhile then kind of went away but did come back. But this time the nurse said it could be from the Benadryl. Oh boy - trying to figure your body out. They kept checking on me for a time and by 3ish the doctor still hadn't come because he was backed up with patients. The doctor told the nurse said since I was feeling better they could attach the bottle and I could go home - yeah!! We were home by 5ish, after making a stop at the drug store for gravol, imodium and Benadryl in case I got the slurring words reaction again. My mom cooked spaghetti and I did eat some. I'm resting and checking emails.
...........and so the journey continues. Thank you to all who are on this journey with me. Thank you for your encouraging emails and cards and your prayers. Keep them coming!
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him." Psalm 28:7
Pics of the new "do"
as promised by Rick in his comments.


8 comments:
First treatment, but definitely not the first time we've prayed for you and your family about this first day. God is enough.
Awesome hair -- more awesome God! He's been with you all day and will continue to be with you each step of your journey.
Your hair looks great Judy. I have been reading the blogs and keeping you in my prayers:)
Your hair looks great Judy. I have been reading the blogs and keeping you in my prayers:)
Sweet look, as always you're looking great! You and your family are such inspirations in the way you trust in our great God!! Thanks for that everyday example. We love you so much and continue to pray for you all!!
Love the Schilly's
Judi. When your world is changing and the changes leave you weakened and uncertain, remember your ROCK and your REDEEMER - JESUS. He never changes.
Psalm 86
Judi, Becca did a beautiful job of cutting your hair! We pray for you daily! keep your chin up and try to find stuff that makes you laugh! it helps your immune system, and it's pleasant.
We love you lots, and Rick and the kids too. Liz
Thinking of you so much! Hoping you're comfortable and resting :)
I love reading this, and the moment-to-moment documentation of it all. We wish we could be there, and you let us...it really is generous of you. The underlying feel to all of your posts, even though everything you're going through must be stressful, is peace. How is it that YOU are actually making ME have peace about all of this? Isn't that backward?
We've talked about our purpose in this world before and how yours definitely has to do with bringing God's message to the world...well, I think you've done it. You have done it before, in other ways too, but so many people get to watch this happen. You make me proud to serve the same God that you do. If only everyone could see what He can bring to our lives...love you so much.
Post a Comment