Sunday, September 07, 2008

Back to Normal?

I feel like we're in a bit of a lull here in Judi's recovery. Judi is doing really well, and we can almost forget that we still have a long battle ahead of us. It's almost like everything is back to normal.

Just like it didn't seem real that Judi had cancer when we first found out, it still doesn't seem real. We're waiting for results of the pathology on the tumor that was removed, and for a plan of attack on any cancer that's still there. In the meantime we're taking action on the blood clots in her leg and her lungs. It's tough waiting for the big battle while we fight some of the smaller battles. Maybe I just don't realize the seriousness of the blood clots on their own.

Judi is getting stronger every day. We took a walk last night, without the dog pulling on one of us to go faster, and without going all the way of our usual route. We went as far as Judi could go, and then we went home.

Other areas of my life are crowding back in – things that didn't seem so important two weeks ago. Both Judi and I were scheduled to volunteer on Emmaus walks this fall. Judi needed to withdraw, as she won't be ready to participate in the training (which starts next Saturday) and couldn't know what would be happening in her treatment in November when the ladies walk is scheduled. I'm still going, so I'll be going to the training without her (bummer). We trust that God has very good reasons for including me in the group of volunteers and excluding Judi, but just like with everything else – we'd sure like to know what those reasons are.

I still don't know how to answer when people ask how I'm doing. I'm accustomed to responding with “fantastic”, or “terrific”, or “great” (speak it into existence). Now I always have the “my wife has cancer, but I'm alright” in the back of my head. I am still “blessed and highly favoured” no matter what my daily circumstances are. Maybe I should stick with that. Have I mentioned yet that I have already been blessed to know and love Judi for over 30 years now?

A good friend of mine always ends a conversation with “be blessed”. That's my wish for you too.

God bless you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey guys -- so happy to read that Judi is home and recovering well! I can only imagine how difficult the waiting must be, but I know that you realize God has a purpose for all of this too. You'll continue to be in our prayers for patience, strength and courage to get through your current and future battles for health. We love you and will see Rick on Saturday at training.

Blessings, Laura