I was talking with friends this weekend at Emmaus training about some forms of communication seeming impersonal. The way we communicate and keep in touch is changing all the time.
Today, Judi and I use this blog to let people know the facts of Judi's treatment, the results of treatment, our feelings about it all, and our reliance on the fact that God is in control. We hope to get better at being more transparent and open with this (maybe that's just for me – Judi is already open). In some ways, it can be seen as impersonal. But many people have thanked us for using this blog to keep people “in the know”.
It made me think of what it must have been like in the early days of the telephone. It must have seemed so impersonal. You couldn't touch the other person. You couldn't see their face, or their body language. Compared to a face to face conversation, it must have taken a long time before it felt like a phone call was “personal”. Today – especially for people who live far from each other, a phone call is a special, personal communication.
For me, after openly sharing our facts and feelings – I retreat back in to my shell until the next time. It can be hard to answer the question; “how's Judi doing?” and “how are you doing?” It's a lot easier for me when someone says; “I've been reading your blog” and gives me a hug to pass on to Judi.
The great thing about the blog, and especially comments from you here on the blog – is that the comments don't require a response back from us. At times it can be difficult to respond to email. We're very thankful to receive cards, email and comments, and I'm sure that Judi likes to hear your voices on the phone too. Thank you for allowing us to bypass proper etiquette as we use this “impersonal” communication method.
I know that Judi is going to reach a point where it is difficult and maybe even dangerous for her to physically interact with others as her immune system will be beaten down by the chemotherapy. I'm glad that we're learning how to effectively communicate even when we can't meet face to face.
Thanks for “listening”, and God bless you.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment