Sunday, August 31, 2008

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Pastor Mark spoke this morning on Philippians 4. I was struck with one thought; we can't focus on two things at once. I can focus on what might happen – and worry, or I can focus on God's love and His plan for us – which will push the worry away.

Philippians 4:4-9

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious (worry) about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about (focus on) such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I had it pointed out to me that I've gotten quite “factual” in my posts (that's the engineer in me). I can't wait until Judi is home and she can let you know how she's really feeling. Here's what I can tell you about it; she spends time looking at pictures of Greece (we've never been there, but she wants to go). She's looking forward to her future. Like Paul says in Philippians, she is ready to go home if that's where God is calling her – but she still has many things she'd like to do while she's still here.

Judi maintains a positive, thankful attitude. She has back pain, but doesn't complain about it. She tries not to be a problem for the nurses. She's never demanding.

I spoke with her this morning, and she's looking forward to being completely mobile; the fluids IV is to come out today since she's eating and drinking regularly, and the heparin is being replaced with a pill (cumidin?). Did I give these facts already? I'm composing this offline on the front porch, it's a gorgeous day – so I can't see the last posting. Our maple trees have a problem where the bark is peeling off, so they've already turned color and one has lost most of it's leaves. Where did the summer go?

I had a recommendation to make sure that I took time every day to enjoy God's creation. I love sitting on our front porch, doing just that. Very soon, Judi will be sitting here with me again.

Have a blessed Sunday.

2 comments:

rackmils said...

I read this after I saw your post today:

'Our relationship with God can get misconstrued as we grow in Christ. We forget that God is more concerned about being with us than our concern of doing things for Him. We hurry from one worthwhile ministry to the next and fill our lives with noble schedules for winning the lost or discipling new believers. However, even as Mary chose to worship and sit at the Master's feet, we also must step back and rediscover the simple joy of being with Jesus. No schedules, no events, no projects-just quietly loving our Lord and relishing His presence.
Can you remember the last time you relaxed and enjoyed the day for what it was-a chance to breathe and live as you take in the goodness of God's creation and love? Today's the day to take one step back, turn off the noise, and listen to the silence. Drink in the beauty of your Creator and rejoice as God speaks to your heart!
"In thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalm 16:11b).'

Unknown said...

Hi Rick & Judi,

Caroline and I look forward to sharing our Greece experience with you when you are ready to go! :-)
We continue to read the blog daily (enjoying the attention to detail) and remember you in prayer.

Wayne