Judi had her surgery today. It went well, but first - today's story;
We arrived at the hospital at 6am (when admitting opens - the hospital is pretty quiet at 6am) for 8am surgery.
I waited with Judi in a cold waiting room. Judi was awesome and went on a mission to get warm blankets for all the waiting patients. She's getting pretty familiar with the hospital, and definitely knows what she wants when she's there.
By 7:15 or so, we headed to the elevators. While in the elevator, the orderly said that the patients would exit one side and the visitors would go to the waiting room. Judi gave me a quick kiss, but I assumed that I would see her again before surgery (and you know what they say about assumptions).
So, here I am; worrying about the 3% chance that my wife isn't going to make it through the surgery (sometimes my faith is small and weak, even though my God is big and strong) and I get to think of the possible "last time" I see her as a quick goodbye in the elevator. How special. Hospital orderlies can be good at creating these "special moments". This one just chose not to.
By 8:15 in the waiting room, I realized I wasn't going to see her again before surgery.
I had visitors! My mens' group leader stopped in. We chatted, and he prayed for Judi and I. Then one of my pastors (we are blessed to have many pastors at our church) came. We chatted, and he prayed for Judi and I - and while he was praying the doctor came out to tell me about Judi. So, we got cut off; but for a good reason. We were waiting for news for quite a while, as Judi's 6 hour surgery had turned into 8 hours. At 4:30pm, I finally went to the cafeteria for lunch.
I got back to the waiting room, and after being the only one there for over an hour I thought I should just go find Judi in the ICU (she'll be in the ICU for the first two days).
I got to the ICU, and Judi had just arrived a few minutes earlier. They needed a minute or two before I could come in.
Judi acknowledged me, squeezed my hand, and slept a lot. She's doing very well, and can't wait until she's allowed to drink some water. After being at the hospital for 14 hours, I decided it was time for me to go. I gave her a kiss (from me and all of you), and she mouthed "I love you"; which I'm certain was meant for all of you as well.
Judi and I really appreciate the cards, email, and blog comments.
Thank you, and God bless you,
Rick & Judi
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Rick -- thank you so much for the update. Very glad to hear that Judi handled the extra long surgery so well! Hoping her stay in ICU will be a short one as she heals and regains her strength.
Love to all,
The May's
Rick
Thanks for the update.
William and I prayed for you and Judy before we went to sleep on Wednesday, and she was in our thoughts all of yesterday. Last night, we asked our small group to pray for you too.
May God strengthen and uphold you both in the long days of recovery ahead, and in all your other crises.
William and Isobel Stevenson
I was so glad every thing went well You and Judi were in my thought all day yesterday I was happy when I read every thing went well . Your Family are still in my prays and thoughts today.
Sandra
Post a Comment