Thursday, November 06, 2008

Routine

How long does it take before something becomes routine? Judi had her 4th chemo treatment yesterday. She doesn't really need me hanging around her during her treatments, so I went off and read. The cancer clinic has become a familiar place, a part of our routine. It seems so strange that something we feared so much in the beginning could become so routine.

Yesterday was such a gorgeous day that I went for two walks. I dropped off Judi, then went to the shuttle parking lot - but didn't take the shuttle back, I walked. It's only 1km away, and it was such a beautiful day that I wasn't even wearing my jacket. The neighbourhood around the hospital is well established, so there's lots of trees. Some were practically raining down leaves. Partway through the morning, I took another walk in a different section of the neighbourhood. People were outside raking and mowing their lawns. Winter seems so close, it was a blessing to be able to be outside and see how God prepares nature for winter.

By the time I was done reading and walking, Judi was finished and ready to go. It's the first time I wasn't beside her, wondering how soon she would be done so I could take her home. She was done early, and we were back home by 2pm.

Judi feels best just before her next treatment, so Monday night we were able to attend a recognition dinner for Canadian Cancer society volunteers (we canvassed in our neighbourhood in April, before we knew Judi had cancer. Ironic, eh?). We had no idea, but there are over 60,000 volunteers across Canada. In Ontario, the society has been operating for 63 years. There were many people recognized for 5, 10, 15, .... 35, 40 years - and - one lady who has been volunteering for 60 years! 60! She got a standing ovation.

No comments: