Friday, November 14, 2008

CT Scan

Went for the CT Scan today. I have an appointment with my oncologist next Tuesday and hope that he will have the results then. I will keep you "posted". For this CT Scan they do an image without contrast then with contrast, meaning a dye is injected. Before the scan they put in a little IV port in my arm where the dye will be injected. Then when I'm laying down they asked if I've had a CT scan before and I say yes. They told me I would feel a warm feeling when the dye went in and that it might feel like I'm wetting myself but I'm not. I remembered that from my last scan. Then she said "if you feel anything unusual let us know right away." She didn't specify what she meant by "unusual" so when they started the dye I felt a little pain where the needle was. I thought that was strange and was kind of confused but of course didn't want to bother them and appear like a suck so I didn't say anything for another 30 or so seconds. The pain had gotten worse so I then said "my arm is kinda sore". They stopped what they were doing and came in and said "oh my". Asked me when the pain started and I said almost right away. She told me I should have said something right away. Oops. Well by this time I realized when they said "unusual" that this pain fell into that category. What happened was the needle was not in the vein so the dye went into my arm instead. The result - a much larger arm than I'm used to :) (see pictures). They had to put an IV in my other arm and finish up. Oh great. After I was all done they gave me some ice to put on my big arm then sent me home and said to put heat on 20 minutes every hour. They said to go to emergency if it didn't go down in size or got very red. It's about 6 hours later and it seems to be going down some. The nurse had called around 2 to check on me and said will call me tomorrow morning again just to be sure I'm ok. They were very sweet about it but boy did I feel like an idiot. Note to self: speak up for yourself when things seem "unusual" :)
looks like a second elbow

you can see how raised it is from this angle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judi,
I was thinking of you all day yesterday. I had it in my head that you would get your results the same day which we all now is not the way it works. As you know my brain isn't firing on all cylinders so that explains my thinking.
Do you ever wonder why they don't tell you up front what 'unusual' is? I'm sure they do that so that patients don't become afraid but I would rather know because I would have done the same thing as you. I'm also slow to notice what's going on so I'm sure my arm would have been close to bursting before I would have picked up that there was something 'unusual' going on. Of course the pain would have me whining before it got to that point.
My faith is not great but I was thinking yesterday that the faith of everyone that is praying for you combined must surely be a great faith.
Thinking of you all,
Love,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hello Judy,. This is cousin Coreen Steen,,way up in Canada..hehe..you guys are so south. I have just only blogged onto your site..Evelyn sent me the info. I feel so out of touch with all that has happened to you. WOW!! it's been a haul,eh? the road doesn't seem to have a stop sign yet in sight. I now am working on an oncology unit at the St.Cath General,,so many things are new to me,,Blessed be our God for you have hair...... I see many bald heads now...and pretty hats and scarves.Can you post a family pic?
I believe we need to do a Kat reunion this coming summer....my cousins families are strangers to me. Well Praying is one thing I can do for you. Have a great day tomorrow. Lots of love sent.

Rebecca said...

I STILL get the heebie geebies...
so gross so gross so gross sogrossosgsosgsogsogosgosogs